Sunday, September 25, 2005

Could You Smell the Wood Burning?

It's been three days since I've posted something here, but nothing's been all that posting-worthy, so here are a couple of days' worth of random thoughts ...

* I stayed in the office late on Friday night (until 9 p.m.), mostly to square some stuff away, clean up my desk, and get organized after a couple of crazy days. One facet of getting organized was coming up with a to-do list for Monday. Of course, by doing that, I now know all the work I have waiting for me. Talk about a catch-22. So maybe getting organized wasn't such a good idea ...

* Saturday was one of those impulsive shopping days at Newbury Comics. Walked in to get a free pint glass and the new Maroon 5 live CD, walked out a half hour later with those things and five other CDs. I shouldn't tell you which ones, but maybe by confessing it'll make me feel better: The 40-Year-Old Virgin soundtrack; Genius and Friends, a sub-par "sequel" to Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company; All-Time Top 100 TV Themes, a 2-CD set of stuff from Six Feet Under to The Lone Ranger; the Desperate Housewives soundtrack (no comments, please); and the Elizabethtown soundtrack.

* Went to an ice cream tasting get-together for Marie's birthday on Sunday. We all had to bring a favorite flavor so of course, I brought Hydrox (i.e.: Cookies and Cream) from Rancatore's. (mmmm...Ranc's.) But when tasted alongside Ben & Jerry's Fossil Fuel or Caramel Sutra, somehow the Hydrox just couldn't compare. Does Ben & Jerry's make bad flavors? Because I've never had one ...

* Got caught up on some TV this weekend. Thought the Martha Stewart version of The Apprentice wasn't all that bad. I'll probably continue to watch it, since it comes on right before Lost and doesn't compete with anything else. Everybody Hates Chris, on the other hand, was not as good as the hype would imply. (Good thing, since it's on opposite Alias and The OC.) Didn't really enjoy How I Met Your Mother either. Neil Patrick Harris was just trying too hard, and the show seemed like it couldn't sustain itself for very long unless new women are introduced every week. Wanted to get back into Prison Break, but I'm three episodes behind now (four including the one that'll be on tomorrow), so at this point, I think I just have to call it and say I won't be watching that show. I know it's great, but I can't watch 'em all. The second episode of Reunion was alright. Nothing great, but not awful either. I feel like by not telling you who's dead yet, the show is just being an annoying tease and frankly, I don't like any of the characters enough to care. It is, however, fun to figure out just what Bedford, NY the show is taking place in. Not the one I grew up in, that's for sure.

* I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in Boston — as I'm sure it does in New York — it feels like the baseball playoffs have already begun. If things remain this close, it's going to be a long week. (And bummer I'm leaving town early for Rosh Hashannah.) My prediction? The Sox will end up 2 games ahead of the Yankees, who won't make the playoffs. (Thank you, Cleveland.)

* One bad thing about Blogger is that it doesn't allow you to track the traffic your blog is getting. (Or at least if it does, I don't know how to do it.) But it seems like I have a lot of readers. And it seems like friends are telling old friends who I haven't heard from in years to read the site. Case in point: got two emails from people last week who had heard about the blog from other people. Hadn't heard from one of them in, oh, I don't know, 14 years. Small world this Internet is ...

* As much as I've tried, Laguna Beach has drawn me in. Big Time. And I tried to resist, really I did. But now I can sit and watch the same episodes over and over for hours. So here's a PSA for any other straight male Laguna Beach fans (and I know I'm not the only one): go check out the new issue of Rolling Stone, the one with Evangeline Lilly on the cover. Turn to page 80. Nice.

* What happened to summer? All of a sudden it's chilly again.

Phew! Maybe I am better off being in the office, where I'll have plenty of work to keep me busy ...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home