Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Talented Mr. Minghella

Just a short note to mark the passing of Anthony Minghella, who wrote and directed one of my all-time favorite movies, The Talented Mr. Ripley. Minghella also directed The English Patient and Cold Mountain, among other films, but for me, Ripley will stand as his greatest achievement. This film, alternately a thriller and a sad meditation on identity, always affects me when I see it. Matt Damon gives his best performance to date, and Minghella filmed it all beautifully, creating a virtual postcard of Italy that makes me long to visit. The ending is particularly well shot and edited nicely, and the score throughout is one of my favorites. If you've never seen Ripley, now is as good a time as any to rent or buy it. Do it as a tribute to Anthony Minghella, who will surely be missed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home