Saturday, November 28, 2009

Three Years Later

I don't really know what to say today, but I wanted to at least acknowledge that it's the third anniversary of the day my Bubby passed away. Jeez. Three years. It still feels like yesterday. It's no lie to say that I still think of Bubby every day, due in large part, I guess, to the fact that I keep a picture of her at my desk at work and right next to my couch at home. Not that I need the reminders, of course. And until recently, when I got a new cell phone, her number would always come up when I scrolled through the Bs. It was like I didn't want to let her go.

My Bubby was a very special lady, and we were very tight (as I'd imagine all my cousins would say about themselves and her). Every day, either at 8 a.m. as I walked to the train or at 1 p.m. when I went to lunch, I'd call her and we'd talk and laugh. I miss those daily chats. The last couple years of her life, every time I'd leave her, I made sure to give her a big hug and kiss, because I never knew when it would be my last chance to do so, and I was very aware of that fact. When she passed away, I had just seen her days earlier, on Thanksgiving, and we had spoken on the phone not even 24 hours before she left us.

Days like today, as much as I take comfort in the fact that Bubby never doubted how much I loved her, and as much as I made an effort to make sure I said a proper farewell, I long for one more chance. What I wouldn't give to give Bubby one more hug. To talk with her on the phone one more time. To tell her how much I love her. Oh well.

I really miss my Bubby, and today, on the third anniversary of her death, I wanted to you all to know that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home