Friday, March 03, 2006

If I Picked the Winners

Since I never did write up a list of my favorite movies of 2005, I figured it was only right for me to post some of my picks for this Sunday's Oscars. I don't have strong feelings in many of the categories, and I feel like a good number of them are already pretty well set (which doesn't generate much interest in picking your own winner), but here goes anyway in a few of the ones I have an opinion about ...

Best Picture
Who's going to win: Brokeback Mountain
How I'd vote: Toss-up between BBM and Munich. While the latter film resonated more with me and would have ranked higher on my list, Brokeback has had the longer-lasting emotional impact, and I saw it twice. As good as it was, I have no real interest in seeing Munich again.

Best Actor
Who's going to win: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
How I'd vote: It'd be cool if Terrence Howard won, but I'd agree with the Academy if they chose Hoffman. He really was great, and he's way overdue for some recognition.

Best Actress
Who's going to win: Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line
How I'd vote: Wasn't particularly blown away by Witherspoon or Felicity Huffman, so this one is also a toss-up for me. Because I enjoyed Walk the Line more, however, I'd give my vote to Witherspoon.

Best Supporting Actor
Who's going to win: George Clooney, Syriana
How I'd vote: Tough call again. Despite my allegiance and loyalty to Clooney, and my liking of Syriana, I'd really like to see Paul Giamatti get some long overdue recognition.

Best Supporting Actress
Who's going to win: Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
How I'd vote: Weisz was the best thing in a great movie. She'd have my vote too. Still, even though I didn't like her movie, I think it'd be cool if Amy Adams won.

Best Documentary Feature
Who's going to win: March of the Penguins
How I'd vote: Murderball was my favorite movie of 2005, the only one I actually wanted to be longer. So I'm really rooting for it here.

Best Original Song
Who's going to win: "Travelin' Thru," Transamerica
How I'd vote: "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp," from Hustle & Flow. Let me put it this way: If this song doesn't win, there'll be a whole lotta bitches jumpin' ship.

Best Original Score
Who's going to win: Gustavo Santaolalla, Brokeback Mountain
How I'd vote: The score for BBM is great music that can be listened to on its own without the movie. I'm hoping John Williams' two competing scores cancel each other out with the voters.

Otherwise, here are my other picks:

Best Animated Feature: Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Best Art Direction: Memoirs of a Geisha
Best Cinematography: Brokeback Mountain
Best Costume Design: Memoirs of a Geisha
Best Director: Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
Best Documentary Short: The Mushroom Club
Best Editing: Crash
Best Foreign Language Film: Paradise Now
Best Makeup: The Chronicles of Narnia
Best Animated Short Film: One Man Band
Best Live Action Short Film: Ausreisser (The Runaway)
Best Sound Editing: King Kong
Best Sound Mixing: Walk the Line
Best Visual Effects: King Kong
Best Adapted Screenplay: Brokeback Mountain
Best Original Screenplay: Crash

So there you go. Oh, and one last prediction: Jon Stewart is going to rock. I can hardly wait.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home