Sunday, May 28, 2006

What a Waste!

If Boston magazine is looking for a new category for its annual "Best of" issue, might I suggest "Best Misuse of Prime Real Estate." I even have a winner. Yesterday was the grand opening of Johnny Cupcakes, located at 279 Newbury Street (at the corner of Gloucester Street). Sounds cool, right? A cupcake store right on Newbury Street! Yum. Suffice it to say, Mitzi and Jason are in town, and the three of us were excited to check the place out today, especially since we heard that yesterday there was a line out the door. But in what is either a collosal waste of a good brand name or a genius way to attract and mislead customers, it seems the company has forgotten one important thing — the cupcakes! Instead, Johnny Cupcakes is a clothing company, and all the stuff is shown in bakery-like display cases. To say we were let-down is an understatement. We were disappointed. We felt gypped. Swindled. Horn-swaggled. And the clothing wasn't even all that cool; it was of the $40 designer t-shirt variety, the kind of stuff that's not even attractive. What a waste.

Here's what I'm hoping: Once word gets out about this sham of a store, the people of Boston will join with me in boycotting this Johnny's "cupcakes" until he begins to actually sell cupcakes, or until he changes the store's name. Who's with me?

Update, 6/18/06: Just an Urban Legend?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Yup said...

Whoa, Johnny Cupcakes! Sorry you were disappointed...but this guy has a cool story. I recall from an old Weekly Dig (I think) article that this guy started out selling his shirts in Hull and then on the streets around Boston, then he'd be picked up by fancy boutiques. He tried for Urban Outfitters but then decided against it for some reason and Urban Outfitters ripped his designs off (I remember a plane dropping cupcakes instead of bombs). So then he was all pissed and now he's opened up a second shop...well, I say good for him! (I'd rather see a local guy on Newbury St. than another chain boutiques) Although that still doesn't account for the lack of cupcakes and no, I won't spend $40 on a t-shirt. For good cupcakes...truly delicious cupcakes, I'd say head North to Beverly and go to Henry's off of exit 20B on 128N. That's some old school delicousness.

May 30, 2006 9:13 PM  
Blogger e$ said...

I agree with Martin - they should at least have a cupcake snack bar in the store. I saw "Johnny Cupcakes" and thought of "Sprinkles" in LA, and actually got hungry for a second!!

What a downer!

May 31, 2006 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you either must really love cupcakes of the confectionary variety or must really have something against this guy. He is local, young and started his business out of his house in Hull. I think it's great to see some Boston clothing designers finally get recognized and be able to afford rent on Newbury. $40 tee shirts, so? Hey, if that store was an actual cupcake store, how much would you be willing to spend for a single cupcake?

June 01, 2006 4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa... You'd think you'd never heard of marketing before.

Yes, the store is called Johnny Cupcakes. No, they don't sell cupcakes, instead they make trendy t-shirts. What's the big deal?

Newbury Comics, a landmark on Newbury St., mostly sells music and movies. In fact, the comic section has been relegated to the back corner of the store. Do they need to change their name to "Newbury Music and Movies"? Of course not.

If you take a closer look at it, many of the store names on Newbury street have nothing to do with the products or good they are selling.

Personally, I was more disappointed to find the shirt designs rather uninspired for a "cool store", and the product line a bit thin. But that's where my disappointment ended.

In terms of it being a "misuse of prime real-estate"-- We're talking about a store specializing in overpriced uber-trendy t-shirts. Where else but Newbury Street would you expect to put this? It makes perfect sense.

June 09, 2006 10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went in there this weekend and they DID have cupcakes! I bought a tshirt and my lady friend & I were granted two delicious cupcakes home made by Johnny's mom! Mmmmmmmmm MMmmmm

June 13, 2006 2:31 PM  
Blogger Kyle. said...

I hate him too. I found one of his stupid shirts at a salvation army and stenciled 'muffin on it'.

September 24, 2008 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home