Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Taking One for the Team

Though my entertainment preferences might imply otherwise, I am neither gay nor female. Who cares. I still decided to take one for the team and see an advanced screening of Sex and the City. I was never a huge fan of the show, but I've certainly seen my share of the episodes and have even referenced one right here on this very blog. And I guess I'll admit that I was a little excited to see the movie. Why do I tell you all this? Well, I guess it's so that you don't hate me too much when I say the movie really didn't do it for me. If you're a devoted Sexaholic, you'll no doubt delight in the clothes, the men, the witticisms, and the sheer sight of Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda together again. For me, it wasn't all that.

How much do you really need to know about the movie? The trailer has already told you all you need to know about the plot: Big leaves Carrie at the altar, Samantha isn't enjoying living in L.A. with Smith Jerrod, Charlotte gets pregnant, Steve cheats on Miranda, etc. etc. None of that should be a surprise if you're any kind of fan of the show. And really, if you're seeing this movie, it's not so much for the plot as for the characters themselves, right? But yeah, the movie has love, loss, drama, laughs, joy, and pain. Basically, it's like like watching an entire season's worth of episodes — and it feels that long. The movie includes brief appearances by such minor characters as Carrie's Vogue editor Enid (Candace Bergen), and it introduces Carrie's assistant, played by my old friend Jennifer Hudson. My female friend who saw the movie with me and is a huge fan of the series (she already had tickets to see the movie again Friday night) loved it. So, use that as your gauge. I didn't hate the movie, per se, and I didn't feel all the testosterone leaving my body. But I didn't think the movie was as fizzy, fun, or as satisfying as the series was. To be cute about it, I've definitely had better Sex. So, I can't really say I loved the this movie, and that's why I'm giving it a B-.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home