Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Year of Martin

I can't believe 2008 is already over, mostly because when I look back on the year, I remember it as being as a great one in the life of Martin Lieberman. Three big things happened: I bought a condo, my niece was born, and I got a new job. All three were huge, life-changing events. I mean, my niece being born ... yeah. But the condo purchase came after more than six years of living in the same place, and the new job came after more than seven years with the same company. So I guess there's very good reason for some of my friends to be calling 2008 "The Year of Martin."

But there was more. My memories of 2008 also include fun times at Mardi Gras in Galveston, Texas, at the star-studded grand opening of the MGM Grand at Foxwoods, and at spring training down in Florida. In addition, I continued my streak of picking Tony winners to interview for Continental magazine and my blog received a ton of traffic thanks to links on Boston.com (and UniversalHub.com, of course). Oh, and how could I forget the election, which thoroughly engaged me, and made me very excited and hopeful. And sure, I ended the year by not being in a very festive mood and thus, decided to skip a year of "A Very Marty Christmas," but now it's New Years and I have plenty to celebrate.

Before the calendar changes completely, let's review some other year-end stuff.

Of the 53 movies I've seen this year, here are my top five favorites, in order:
1. The Dark Knight
2. Man on Wire
3. Slumdog Millionaire
4. Milk
5. The Wrestler

And here are my favorite CDs of 2008, in no particular order:
* Viva la Vida – Coldplay
* We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things – Jason Mraz
* Gossip in the Grain – Ray LaMontagne

And finally, my top-10 favorite TV shows of 2008, in order:
1. Brothers & Sisters
2. Lost
3. 30 Rock
4. Gossip Girl
5. How I Met Your Mother
6. The Office
7. Countdown with Keith Olbermann
8. The Amazing Race
9. Flight of the Conchords
10. Saturday Night Live

I hope that wherever and however you're celebrating the new year tonight that you can also look back and be happy. Personally, I can't wait to see how 2009 will top the past 12 months.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home