Saturday, January 31, 2009

"When I Drive on Campus, I See Money"

A videographer for Boston.com visited the Rose Art Museum at Brandeis today and compiled a video that shows a) an increased number of visitors, b) sadness/anger/frustration on the part of those visitors regarding the closing of the museum and the possible sale of its collection, and c) protest signs hung in the entryway. Thought I'd share a link so you can watch if you're interested.

In related news, the campus community held a large protest of its own on Thursday. I know, I know. And yes, I can count myself as one of those countless students of the past who took the museum for granted and is now supporting it publicly like it means so much to me. But it's not about the museum itself, per se, as much as it is the school's decision that I'm against, and the effects the close and sale will have on Brandeis' identity and cultural impact. The Rose is symbolic of, and part of, the singularity and greatness of Brandeis University, and I don't want to see the museum be sacrificed in such tough times. Not many other universities can boast that they have a world-class museum of the Rose's caliber on their campus, and I hope Brandeis will reverse course so it can continue to count the Rose as one of its most noteworthy and appealing attributes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home