Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Time of the Season

Driving home from work tonight, with the sun shining, my sunglasses on, the window down, traffic moving well, and my radio playing loudly (song of choice: Owl City's "Fireflies"), I was reminded of just how much I love this time of year. And sure, it's easy to be happy when three days of heavy rain have just ended, but it's more than that. It's the confluence of the changed weather, a bright sun, Daylight Savings Time, and warmer temperatures that just make me so happy this time of year. And ... It's the start of baseball season. It's the opening of the ice cream stand at Pizzi Farm. It's the impending arrival of golf season. It's the reappearance of runners and bikers up and down Comm Ave. It's ... alright, fine, it's mostly the increased sunlight and the warmer temperatures after a long, cold winter.

And it's the happier mood of everyone around me too. How they all seem to come out of their winter cocoons all at once. Where I work, on days like today, the sun just shines on us through the window at 3 p.m. and practically blinds us — despite the shades. (Seriously. Someone today told me he had broken a sweat.) All of a sudden, there's a buzz in the air. More people are laughing. People can't sit still. No one is working. After all, it's hard to concentrate when you know it's so nice outside. There are so many other places you'd rather be.

So as we begin a stretch of days where the high temperatures are going to be in the 60s and the forecast is calling for a lot of sun, I hope I'm not jumping the gun tooooo much by wishing you a very Happy Spring. Woo hoo!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home