Thursday, July 08, 2010

Tasty Treat

One of the problems with the cupcake scene in the Boston area — other than the fact that there's no Crumbs within the state lines — is that most of the places just don't live up to their names, or the hype. Kickass Cupcakes don't. Sweet's are not. Shot Cakes, while tasty and worth the trip, don't include alcohol shots. (Okay, fine. Maybe that one's a stretch.) And so on. Now there's Treat in Needham Center, and, well, finally the name fits. I went in on day two this past weekend (it opened on July 4), had a cupcake called the Plain Jane, and fell in love.

Let me tell you about the Plain Jane. First of all, the name is inaccurate. This cupcake was not plain in the least: it was chocolate cake with what looked like a scoop of classic vanilla buttercream frosting, chocolate fudge drizzle, sprinkles, and a thin slice of waffle cone. If you ask me, it should have been called the Ice Cream Sundae cupcake, because that's what it looked like. But that aside, it was awesome. The cake was moist, the frosting creamy and dense enough. Yum.

The Plain Jane cupcake was so awesome that I promptly bought six more to share with my coworkers the next day. Suffice it to say, they were a big hit. One person called the Triple Chocolate the best cupcake she'd ever had (I ate half of it, and let out a big "wow" after the first bite). Another said the Plain Jane/Sundae one was "fan-friggin-tastic." People were equally rhapsodic about the Red Velvet, Needham Cream Pie, Peanut Butter Overload, and Vanilla/Vanilla Plain Jane. I promised I'd bring more in sometime soon.

In the meantime, I'm telling you all. Treat is located at 1450 Highland Ave. in Needham (dangerously close to where I live). It's on Facebook and on Twitter. Technically, the store is in "soft opening" mode right now, and won't have an official grand opening till September, but it's already doing great business. Get over there before the word spreads even further and you're waiting out the door before you can enjoy one of these tasty treats. In fact, according to Treat's Facebook page, this weekend it'll be debuting the Lemon Drop, Hugs, Creamsicle, and Pink Lemonade cupcakes. Yum. Will I see you there?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The King's Daughter said...

Yum! What is it with the cupcake explosion recently? There was a big to-do over a cupcake shop that opened in DC, also, because they have a new series on the food network. And then there is the legendary Magnolia bakery in NYC, which I have personally been to, and loved.

I thought Boston was like the workout capital of the U.S. or something? I wonder what all of those cupcakes are going to do to the fitness lovers!

Cheers,
Tia

July 19, 2010 3:49 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I don't try to explain it, Tia. I just enjoy it. :-) And when Crumbs finally opens here (soon, I hope), then that'll also put a big dent in whatever 'Workout Capital' reputation we supposedly have. (I've never heard that one before, btw.)

Thanks for the comment!

July 19, 2010 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home