Sunday, January 30, 2011

They're Here!

Unless it's, you know, a booty call or something, you never want the phone to ring after 12 a.m. Especially if you've been out, and you're, well, not sober. Because when people call after midnight, it's usually not for a good reason.

But sometimes the phone rings after midnight for a good reason. A very good reason.

Such was the case this past Tuesday night, when the phone rang and I learned that I had two new nephews. Yes, they were a few weeks early. I guess Marc and Ian just couldn't wait to meet their uncle and they arrived at just 31 weeks. I was in Las Vegas when I got the call (and yes, I had had a few drinks), so I was sorry that I couldn't be there to welcome them, like I was when my niece, Abby, was born. But neither were my folks or my sister's in-laws. The whole thing apparently happened so quickly, so unexpectedly, and so soon that no one could truly prepare. (The fact that my sister and brother-in-law had picked up their new minivan just days earlier was pure luck.)

So ... now I have two little nephews: Marc Owen (4 pounds) and Ian Benjamin (3 pounds, 15 ounces), who were born at 2:27 a.m. and 2:28 a.m. on January 26. I'm not going to get to meet them for another few days, and I can hardly wait.

Two boys. How cool. How fun. How long do I have to wait till we can play wiffle ball, or till they can crawl all over me and try to pin me to the ground? These guys are gonna be trouble, and it's gonna be awesome.

Oh, and in case you're wondering about Abby ... she's handling it all just fine. She loves the idea of being a big sister, and loves the tshirts, the hats, and the bracelets that say "Big Sister." We'll see how well she handles it when Marc and Ian — or "Mookie" and "Alex," as she calls them — come home from the hospital in a few weeks. I think she's gonna be great. And if she needs a little love and attention, she knows who she can count on to give it to her. (Hint: It's me.)

And just for the record, Abby, Marc, and Ian can call me any time.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger GoodTimesDad said...

First off, mazel tov. Is everyone doing okay?

I like Mookie and Alex, that's totally what you should call them (at least Mookie, that's a nickname that could stick).

Give it about 2 and a half to 3 years before you can play wiffle-ball, and about the same for them pinning you to the ground.

Get your rest now, because 2 boys can be tiring!

January 30, 2011 8:34 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

Thanks, Paul! Everyone's fine, but the boys will be in the hospital a little longer till they're a bit bigger.
And don't worry, Mookie's definitely gonna be Marc's nickname. ;-)

January 30, 2011 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home