Wednesday, November 30, 2011

10 Is Enough

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge fan of Thanksgiving. Yes, I love me some turkey and gravy, a couple days off from work, time to see friends, maybe hang out in New York City and see a show, and just generally have fun. But one of the best things about Thanksgiving is that when it's over, that's when the coast is clear to break out the holiday music and play those songs on repeat for a month straight. That's basically what I've done since Friday, and thankfully, I've amassed quite a collection so there's a lot to listen to. Many of those songs have been included on my Very Marty Xmas mixes over the years.

Last year, I made one of my best Very Marty Xmas mixes, if not the best. I mean, it included the Puppini Sisters' cover of "Step into Christmas," Owl City's "Christmas Song," Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings' "Ain't No Chimneys in the Projects," Trijntje Oosterhuis' cover of "This Christmas," and Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart's "Can I Interest You in Hanukkah?" So when it came time to survey my remaining collection and see what was left — and what was new this year — a stark truth came to light: Nothing was ever going to be good enough as last year. It was my second-choice material, my remainders, the back-ups, the random novelty tunes ... plus new stuff from the likes of Justin Bieber. What a buzz kill that mix would be.

The 2010 edition of A Very Marty Xmas was my 10th anniversary edition. That means I've made 11 mixes, including a Best of. That's a lot of "Winter Wonderland," "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town," "Sleigh Ride," and "All I Want for Christmas Is You." Yes, they're perennial favorites, but how many times can you hear the same old songs sung basically the same old ways?

So that brings me to a big announcement. My friends, to quote Boyz II Men: We've come to the end of the road. After 10 years of Very Marty Xmas mixes, I've decided to put away the Santa suit and stop making them. Last year's mix was the last. The time has come for me to pass the torch to a new generation. To step aside and maybe even grow up a little. To take a bow. To sit back and enjoy the season in full. And perhaps most importantly (as my family likes to remind me), to remember that, um, I am Jewish, after all.

I'm actually surprised by how easy the decision was. I had a great run and I'm extremely proud of the work I did. I can listen to my mixes (any of them) and they're still fun, what with their collection of songs and the interstitials I slid in for an extra je ne sais quoi. Those 11 mixes aren't going away, and I'd be more than happy to burn copies for anyone who wants me to. After all, I do still love the season and do still want to spread festive joy to all the good girls and boys. But I'm not going to make new mixes anymore.

When Jerry Seinfeld quit Seinfeld, he said you should always go out when you're on top so you leave people wanting more. After last year's mix, I can't think of a better time to walk away. Thank you very much for all the love and support you've shown me and the mixes over the past 11 years. They're what kept me going and what made it so much fun to make the mixes year after year.

I wish you and yours a very happy holiday season. I hope the A Very Marty Xmas mixes continue to liven up your tree trimming, parties, and other occasions from now until New Year's Eve, this year and for many years to come.

Previously:
A Very Marty Xmas 2010
A Very Marty Xmas 2009
The Best of A Very Marty Xmas
A Very Marty Xmas 2007
A Very Marty Xmas 2006
A Very Marty Xmas 2005

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home