Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Booked

Back in the day, I was an avid reader of Swing magazine, which was published by Ralph Lauren's son David and aimed to inspire twentysomethings to be active members of society (or something like that). In one issue, there was a profile of a young writer named Brad Meltzer, whose new book The Tenth Justice was getting good buzz. Brad was being hailed as "the next John Grisham." Being a young writer myself, I was inspired by Brad's success and decided to go to a book reading/signing and meet him in person. When the time came after Brad read from the book, I stood up and asked him a question about his web site and the character sketches, which I enjoyed. Or maybe it was a question about the movie rights, which had just been sold. Or actually, I think I asked two questions.

Anyway, Brad left a good impression on me that night, and when he came out with his next book a year or two later, I went to that signing too. Of course, just like I had done at Brad's first reading, I stood up and asked a question when he opened things up to a Q&A. Brad remembered me, and later he wrote something nice in my book, thanking me for coming back.

Long story short, Brad is one of the nicest writers I've ever met, one of the real good guys, and that's why every time he's in town with a new book, I make a point of going to his readings/signings. And yes, every time I also ask him a question, and every time Brad remembers me (tho not necessarily by name) and writes something really cool in my book. So I've followed his career over the years; I own all his novels (plus the graphic novels Idenity Crisis and Green Arrow: Archer's Quest) — though admittedly, I haven't read them all — and I watched Jack and Bobby, the WB show he created two seasons ago. (And a fun fact is that he was Real World: San Francisco cast member Judd Winick's roommate in college.)

I tell you all this because Brad's in town today (Wednesday) to promote his sixth novel, The Book of Fate, which has been getting some great reviews and debuted at the top of the New York Times Bestseller list last week. The book's a thriller set in Washington, D.C., about an attempted presidential assassination, the secret society of Masons, and all kinds of other stuff. He wrote it with some research help from former Presidents Clinton and Bush. I'm not doing a very good job of selling the book, so I encourage you to check out Brad's web site, where you can learn more about it. Brad will be reading from Fate at Brookline Booksmith in Coolidge Corner at 7 p.m., and if you're free, he's worth listening to, meeting, and reading. Just thought I'd do my part and give him a plug here. Look for me. I'll be there.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home