Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Grady's Revenge

Is it so wrong for me to want the Yankees to make it to the World Series this year? I ask because I'm rooting for the Dodgers on the National League side, and wouldn't it just be great if Grady Little got a second chance to beat the Yankees on the national stage? And wouldn't it also be great if Nomar could earn his own World Series ring? I'd love to see Bill Mueller and Derek Lowe back in the Bronx, back in championship form like they were in 2004, and for Grady to do everything right — or at least right enough — so he can exorcise his own demons from the 2003 ALCS. And that's on top of how cool it'd be from a historical standpoint for the Yankees to be playing the Dodgers (I'll bet Fox Sports is already preparing the intros to hype that series). To clarify, I'm not rooting for the Yankees to win anything. I just think this matchup would make for a fun Series, and it'd be the closest thing we'd have this year to the Sox making it all the way ... like they were supposed to have done. (Whoops. I forgot. I no longer hold a grudge against the 2006 team. Strike that last comment.)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Suldog said...

That would be marvelous. Good thought!

October 04, 2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger Humma Kavula said...

Is it wrong to want the Yankees to make it to the World Series this year?

The answer to that question is: yes, it is wrong, for a number of reasons.

1. Having watched the Dodgers play about 100 of their games, I can say they're a flawed (and streaky) team. If the Yankees play the Dodgers in the World Serious, I worry that the Yankees win.

2. Really, no team in the National League compares with the six or seven best teams in the AL -- I think that the Yankees, the A's, the Twins, the Tigers, the Angels, the Blue Jays, and the Red Sox are all better than the Mets, which I think are the best team in the NL. Well, maybe not the Red Sox.... Point being that if the Yankees are the AL champs, I give them good odds to be World Champs, too.

3. One should always root for the Yankees to lose every single game they play. It seems very odd to want them to be American League Champions... very odd indeed.

4. It would be more embarrassing for the Yankees to make an early exit from the playoffs than for them to lose in the Serious. I really, really want the Tigers to wipe that smug smile off their faces.

5. I do not think that I could stand watching the World Serious games on Fox, listening to Tim McCarver drool over Jeter. I think I would shoot my television, which would cause me a number of problems -- not least of which is that I would no longer have a television.

6. As much as we can root for those matchups, let's never forget that they can lose those matchups. Back in 2004, after the Sox beat the Angels, some people were rooting for the Yankees to beat the Twins so that the ALCS would be Sox-Yanks. I thought these people were crazy. The Yanks were a much, much tougher team than the Twins and I wanted to face the weaker team. Of course, the 2004 ALCS was one of the greatest things ever, but I don't know that it proves me wrong -- the Sox had a lot of things go their way in games four and five and they got pretty lucky to win that series. A hair falls this way or that and all of a sudden it's NY vs. St. Louis in the Serious.

So yes, it's wrong.

October 04, 2006 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home