Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Not So Good

First, the good news: This review will not be as long as the movie I'm reviewing.

Now, the bad news: I'm reviewing The Good Shepherd. And it's not the great Oscar-contender I was hoping for. Instead, it's a Very Serious Movie that is very long (i.e.: more than two-and-a-half hours long) and not really all that entertaining.

Matt Damon plays Edward Wilson, who is recruited to join the OSS (the precursor to the CIA) while still at Yale and a member of the secret society Skull and Bones. The film jumps back and forth in time to show how Edward's committment to but uneasy feelings about the organization affect him and his family. No one can be trusted, loyalties aren't what they seem, and paranoia is a must.

Sounds like a hell of a story. If only Damon's performance wasn't so wooden, and everything and everyone around him wasn't so stiff. At one point someone describes Edward as "a serious S.O.B. without a sense of humor," and that just about sums it up. Further, Damon doesn't ever look a day over 28, despite aging 22 years over the course of the movie. And Angelina Jolie is not just miscast, but she's underused. The whole thing is just a bit dry, and I actually thought about walking out a couple times because I just wasn't involved and I knew I could be enjoying myself doing something else. (Not that it's all bad; I quite enjoyed seeing Joe Pesci on screen again.) So in summary, The Good Shepherd gets a not-so-good C from me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home