Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Is This Heaven? No, It's Florida

So I have to say, the biggest disappointment about my trip to City of Palms Park on Monday wasn't the Sox losing 2-1 to the Dodgers, and it wasn't the fact that Jason Varitek didn't play, and it wasn't the fact that I never got to see Gabe Kapler when I went to the minor league facility. No, it wasn't any of those things. Instead, my biggest disappointment was the fact that City of Palms Park doesn't sell Fenway Franks. They sell the Globe and the Herald, and they sell old World Series champ merchandise, and they play "Sweet Caroline" midway through the eighth inning. But no, the one piece of Fenway I was most looking forward to on this trip to see the Sox in their springtime home, that I was denied.

Otherwise, it was a great time seeing the Olde Towne Team in Fort Myers. The whole thing had the feeling of a reunion: for the fans, it was the first time we were seeing the boys since October, and many seemed quite happy to have us cheering for them again. For the Sox, it was a chance to hang out with Nomar and Grady Little (Rudy Seanez and J.D. Drew made no visible attempts to hang out with their old teammates). Getting to the stadium at 10:30 for a 1:00 game meant we could hang out and see the guys bonding, laughing, reconnecting, enjoying themselves. It was really fun. Hell, people were even asking Grady Little for his autograph, and Nomar received some of the biggest cheers of the day. And it was also amusing that if you wanted to find Dice-K, all you had to do was look for the mob of Japanese reporters and fans. They travel with him around the stadium in a pack, just like his own personal entourage.

And as if that all wasn't enough, the weather was near-perfect, the PA system was playing "Ants Marching" and "Margaritaville" and other sumertime classics, there was a too-vocal yahoo fan yelling out stupid stuff throughout the game, my dad and I sat right behind the Dodgers' dugout, and best of all, hope seemed to be in full supply (despite the loss). For a few brief hours, it was finally spring. And it was awesome.

But no Fenway Franks. That would have made the trip perfect. Ah well. I'll just have to wait until I get tickets to see the team play at home.

ps: A really cool "star" sighting at the park was Keith Olbermann. I asked him if he'd be giving Ann Coulter hell for her comments Friday night and sure enough, he tipped me off that even though he was on vacation, he'd be phoning in a segment for that night's show. And he also gave me a good laugh when he said Coulter was "more mannish" than John Edwards. I love Keith Olbermann. He's the man. (And clearly Terry Francona thinks so too; Keith sat right by his side at the top of the dugout throughout the entire game.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home