Monday, June 30, 2008

T and Qs

Last week, a blogger named David asked whether leaving your newspaper on the T was littering or sharing. As someone who often grabs a Metro on my way into work, and has admittedly left it on the train as many times as I've recycled it, I grapple with this question often. But that's not the only question I have about the T:

* Which is worse: when someone is yapping away on their cell phone in English or in a foreign language?
* If a B train and a D train leave Kenmore Square at almost the exact same time, and I take the D train to Reservoir then walk up Chestnut Hill Ave. to catch the B train, why does it take so long for that B train to arrive?
* When the trains reach their "home base" back at Boston College or Cleveland Circle, why don't they get cleaned? I don't mean washed. Is it really asking so much for a T worker to pick up the trash and throw it away so when passengers get on the train at the beginning of the line, they're clean? Yes, there could also be an announcement to have passengers take their own trash with them, but we all know that doesn't work.
* When the train isn't very crowded, why do people always feel the need to crowd and stand right next to you?

I'm just wondering. What T-related questions do you have?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger timewarp2008 said...

The D Line has widely spaced stops; 6 stops from Kenmore to Reservoir. And it runs on a rail reservation, with no cars or traffic lights.

The B Line has many more stops. 16 stops from Kenmore to Chestnut Hill Ave. And it runs in the street's median, and has to deal with traffic lights and other vehicles.

That's why it takes so long.

July 01, 2008 10:51 AM  
Blogger jpp said...

You said: ... there could also be an announcement to have passengers take their own trash with them, but we all know that doesn't work.

Maybe it doesn't work because you left your Metro there when you got to work at Park Street and it's been floating around the train like driftwood the rest of the day — so if you're not there to pick up your own trash when they make that announcement, do you expect someone to pick it up for you?

Just sayin...

July 01, 2008 11:38 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

Well, I'm just one person. I can take my own Metro with me, and as I said, I often do. I don't expect anyone else to throw out my trash; I also don't want to pick up someone else's trash. Is it the T drivers' job to simply drive the train? Or are they also responsible for maintaining it? And if not, then who is? Why aren't those trains ever cleaned? That's all I'm saying.

July 01, 2008 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home