Monday, February 09, 2009

It's Definitely Her

If you enjoyed Lily Allen's song "Smile," with its upbeat melody and quite bitter lyrics ("When I see you cry, it makes me smile"), not to mention its revenge fantasy video, then chances are good you'll love her new album, It's Not Me, It's You, which hits stores tomorrow. As Blender magazine recently said, the album is "part God, part country and all middle finger." That's about right, since the songs on the album discuss politics, religious fundamentalism, ex-boyfriends, and more, all in Lily's take-no-prisoners style.

This second disc by the British singer boasts great music mixed with a ton of attitude. Like many of the tracks on Allen's self-titled debut, the bright, bouncy melodies here will hook you, and then you'll stop and realize just what it is you're singing along to. Of course, then you'll just laugh your arse off. Case in point, the infectuous pop tune of a track like "Fuck You," which may just be my favorite track on the entire album — and not just because it's a rant against George W. Bush. Have a listen and try not to sing along.

I've embedded the video for the album's lead single, "The Fear," below. Like most other tracks, it's got a great beat and a catchy chorus. Many of these songs will be popular in clubs and at parties. Personally, I've had the disc on repeat play in my car since I downloaded it a week ago.

Another personal favorite track is "Never Gonna Happen." Thought I'd share some of the lyrics here:
Please can you stop calling
'cause it's getting really boring
and I've told you I don't want to be friends.
Believe me when I tell you that I never want to see you again.

How on earth could I be anymore obvious?
It never really did and now it's never gonna happen with the two of us.
I don't understand what it is that you're chasing after,
but it makes me really sad to hear you sound so desperate.
It just makes it harder.

Anyway, I've already got my tickets to see Lily live here in Boston and I can't wait. Till then I'm going to tide myself over with this album, which I highly recommend.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home