Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Passover Tradition Continues

Like the youngest child asking the four questions, or the hiding of the afikomen, I, too, have my own Passover traditions. One of those is posting a rant about how much I hate shopping for Passover food. If you don't know, dietary restrictions during Passover prevent you from eating anything with flour or yeast in it. And if you're observant enough to keep the holiday, then you need to purchase Kosher for Passover food for eating during the week. While I'm not the most observant Jew 51 weeks of the year, I often joke that Passover is the one week when I find my religion. As a result, each year I have to buy these "special" ingredients and foodstuffs.

Sunday was my annual trip to Star Market to make these purchases (the holiday starts this Monday night), and like in years past, I was annoyed by how much I was being charged to buy food I didn't even want to buy. $6 for a box of cookies that might ordinarily cost $2.50. Cake mix for the same price, even though the cake is half the size of a normal cake (if not smaller). A jar of grape jelly for $4. A can of tuna fish for nearly $3. And those were the "sale" prices! Yes, that's what supermarkets do: They set a price for the Passover food, call it a "sale" price, and mark its regular price a dollar or so higher. It's like they're capitalizing on the horrible stereotype that Jews like their deals and would rather buy something on sale than if it was normally priced. And then, because we don't have the option, we buy all this overpriced stuff, which we only need for a week.

When all was said and done, I had spent $50 on Sunday for my K4P food — and that's not even counting the perishable stuff that I'll pick up this weekend. By comparison, on an average week, I usually spend about $20 for my groceries (the beauty of living by myself, I guess). So that's why I saved my receipt. When the holiday is over, I'll be partaking in my second Passover tradition: returning all my unopened food and getting my money back. The way I figure it, if the store's gonna overcharge me, the least they can do is take back and refund my money for the stuff I don't use.

Happy early Passover to all who celebrate. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home