Friday, April 13, 2007

Martin: 15, The Man: 0

It's one of my favorite Passover traditions: the day I go back to Shaw's and return all my unopened, unused food. My philosophy on this is simple: if they're going to overcharge me for food I need for only a week (and that in some cases really isn't very good), then they're going to take back whatever I have left after the holiday. Last year I got back $27 for my extra food. This year, thanks largely to smarter buying, I didn't have as much to return, so I got a smaller amount back. Still, it was worth it. Here's what I returned:
* two cans of tuna fish
* a box of cookies
* a two-liter bottle of soda
* a box of chocolate lollipops
* a jar of gefilte fish
All that was worth about $15 back in my pocket.

Now, I realize some may say doing this (and bragging about it) is chintzy, or worse, that it confirms a stereotype. I counter by saying there's no reason why I should have to pay $5 for a box of 24 subpar bite-size cookies, or $2.59 for a can of tuna fish, simply because I have no choice in the matter. Every year we're taken advantage of on Passover, and if I can even the score by returning what I don't need and getting my money back, then I see nothing wrong with that.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home