Friday, January 06, 2006

New York, Schmew York

There's nothing like a list to get people talking, and New York magazine's recent list of the 123 Things to Love About New York has inspired a great rebuttal by blogger Jonelle about the 123 Things to Love About Boston. Wanted to provide a link because it's worth reading.

Of course, Jonelle's list got me thinking about the reasons why I love Boston. So here goes with a few reasons why I love this city:

1. Because of Patriots Day: Not just that we get a day off on what is usually one of the first really nice days of the year, but also because the general great mood in the city resulting from the marathon is infectious and exciting. Additionally, there's nothing quite like the period a half hour after the winners come down Boylston St., when the rest of the runners turn that corner to a thundering ovation from the crowd. I love being a part of that every year.
2. Because like 'em or hate 'em, the college kids keep Boston perpetually young
3. Because only those who live in L.A. think four seasons are overrated (Ya hear that, Todd?)
4. Because there's really only one thing you can count on: When the weather gets worse, the T service gets worse
5. Because no one can ever take away how exciting the two weeks of the 2004 ALCS and World Series were
6. Because of the Chicken Milanese at Al Dente in the North End
7. Because I can never take enough pictures of 500 Boylston St.
8. Because brunch at Johnny's Luncheonette in Newton Center kicks any other brunch's ass
9. Because we're only an hour from Providence, where Waterfire is one of the best things to do in the summertime
10. Because of Cindy Fitzgibbon, who brightens my day even when it's cold, cloudy, rainy, or snowy outside
11. Because the $12 seats at Fenway are infinitely better (and more fun) than those for double the price in the Grandstand
12. Because of the Boston Metro hawker in South Station who always greets people with the same "Free Metro, good morning."
13. Because if Jennifer Garner will marry a local boy, then there's hope for me too
14. Because the MFA once had a Wallace & Gromit exhibit
15. Because you can't walk along the river in New York (I mean, you could, but why would you want to?)
16. Because of the AMC Fenway movie theater: best presentation of movies, worst parking lot
17. Because even a single guy like me never feels truly alone here
18. Because of Friday night walks from my office to the Hynes Convention Center T stop
19. Because areas like Brookline are suburban, and yet still 10 minutes from downtown
20. Because of Ezra's column in the Improper Bostonian

Alright, that's all I've got for now. I'm sure I'll think of some more and maybe I'll just add them to this posting. But while I'm at it, what's on your list? What did I forget?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Humma Kavula said...

Four seasons ARE overrated. Saying, "I can't move to L.A. because I would miss that first nice day of the year" is like saying, "When I beat my head against the wall, it feels good when I stop."

January 09, 2006 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home