Monday, February 25, 2008

Good Show!

What can I say about this year's Oscars? It was the best, most enjoyable show in quite some time. The winners were spread out across a few films (even The Bourne Ultimatum won three), and most of the winners spoke very well. Of course, I was very happy about Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova winning Best Song for "Falling Slowly," the song from Once (and I loved what Glen and Marketa had to say — and that Marketa got a second chance to speak), and I liked that There Will Be Blood won not only for Best Actor but also for Best Cinematography. I liked the "surprise" of Tilda Swinton winning Best Supporting Actress for Michael Clayton too; that category could have gone any one of four ways, with all four deserving of the award. But really, my favorite part of the show was not Jennifer Garner (surprise!) or even Keri Russell but Jon Stewart, who simply rocked as the host. He had so many great lines, he had a lot of confidence, he was hip and cool, and he just did a really nice job. I loved when he came back from a commercial break and was playing Wii Tennis. (Here's a link to the text of his very funny monologue.) The show felt like it moved very quickly, even if it did last about 3:17, and I just had a great time watching. I even enjoyed the montages — especially the Bee one (me! me! me!). Props to Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen for their presenting. And on the subject of Jen Garner, no one knows what was up with that Gary Busey ambush, but here's how he defended himself. So, another year over. Now onto a new year of movies.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

really? you really liked it that much? I thought it was terrible. very boring and tilda swanson???? Michael Clayton was so damn overrated. And the Coen brothers instead of Paul Thomas Anderson (or is it Paul Anderson Thomas?), a damn crime, I say!! Even the whole Javier Bordem (who is brilliant as an actor but plays a fairly "easy" part in NCFOM--a total stock character who was given the gift of great direction and character arch, albeit little dialogue), was annoying. Oh and Marie Coitilliard (sp?) over Julie Christie??? I also thought the show, overall was a snoozer. Ah well. To each his/her own. :) Congrats on passing inspection.

March 01, 2008 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home