Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Think You Should Abstain

If the thesis of Swing Vote is true, that one person can make a difference, then here is my question: why couldn't that person be an editor? Kevin Costner stars as Bud, a stupid, lazy, selfish drunk who (amazingly enough) has a whip-smart, politically-savvy and awfully precocious daughter, Molly. Bud couldn't care less about the presidential election (between, amazingly enough, Kelsey Grammer and Dennis Hopper), but through circumstances not even worth getting into here, he holds the final result of the election in his hands. Great. If only the guy was remotely likable and/or smart enough to realize what morons he was making the candidates into when they descend on his town and try to win him over. If only his daughter wasn't so angelic that she's beyond cliche. If only the screenplay didn't sound like it was written by a complete amateur. If only the aforementioned editor had decided to take a half hour off the running time of this movie — at least. If only I cared enough to list all the things wrong with this movie, and if only you cared enough to read about them. Frankly, my guess is you don't even care enough to see this movie, so I'm just going to give it a D and call it a day.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

The only reason I want to see this film is because of Dennis Hopper. Mr. Hopper as president. Yes please! I mean I already have him telling me what to do in my car. I just got his voice from Navtones.com where you can download celebrity voices to your GPS.
I hope Dennis Hopper wins the swing vote and we all get to live in an Easy Rider world!

July 30, 2008 1:33 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Well, I'm sorry to tell you, but it's Kelsey Grammer who is the incumbent. Hopper is the challenger. But I won't tell you who wins.

July 30, 2008 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home