Friday, July 18, 2008

Who You Callin' Chicken?

I like an awful lot of things about my new apartment, but if I had to pick one thing I definitely do not like, it's my local food options. I think I've now tried every pizza and sandwich shop in Cleveland Circle — Pino's, Presto, Eagle's Deli, Roggies, etc. — and I've basically had the same thing at every one of them: a chicken cutlet sub. (Often it's parmigiana.) I have to say, not a one of them has left me feeling satisfied. I mean, how hard is it to put a couple pieces of chicken on a toasted roll, and add mayo and lettuce. It's simple, right? Well, Thursday night I tried Eagle's Deli for the first time, and that may have been the worst one of all. I paid about $7.50 (!!) for a single piece of bad fried formerly-frozen chicken on a bulkie roll (because they were out of sub rolls — and Snapples and a whole lot of other stuff) and could barely finish it. Hours later, I was feeling ill. The other places have been equally disappointing. Some have the chicken right there in a warmer ready to go, and while I appreciate the speed, I'd prefer it if my sandwich was fresh, and not made with meat that's been sitting around for God knows how long. I don't mind waiting for good food.

Either the B.C. kids have really low standards for good food, or these places just aren't even trying. How I long for the days when I could get off the T on my way home and eat at T. Anthony's, a real pizza place, and a real good one at that. (It's located at the corner of Comm Ave. and Babcock St.) In addition to great pizza, those guys make a perfect chicken cutlet sub, and an even better parmigiana one. And, best of all, their food is always fresh or made with higher-quality ingredients. College Sub, when it's open, makes a passable sandwich that I'll tolerate. But if the best I can do is "passable," then I've got real problems. Or, I've just gotta make my own meals all the time.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Eagles Deli's beakfast is awesome. As for the chicken cutlet, branch out and try something else. Pinos is usually pretty solid.

July 18, 2008 9:57 AM  
Blogger B said...

Dude, you're not alone. Since moving to Brighton from Cambridge a couple of years ago, I'm appaled at the lack of simply palatable take out / delivery food in the area.

Pino's pizza isn't horrible. Wings Express does a good job with their hot Buffalo wings.

Try to find good Chinese delivery, I dare you!

July 18, 2008 10:56 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

b,
That's easy: Lucky Wah's, which is up Beacon St. near Summit Ave., is easily the best Chinese take-out in the area. Good food, and not too expensive either.

July 18, 2008 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I lived in the Cleveland Circle area, I always took a right and headed to Washington Square for food; I only went left into Cleveland Circle for beer or CVS. Wander over to my neck of the woods (Brighton Center) and give Jim's Deli a try. I'm not much of a chicken sandwich girl myself, but I've been told repeatedly that such a dish at Jim's could change my life.

July 19, 2008 10:58 AM  
Blogger eagles_deli said...

I’m Sean and I’ve been the owner of Eagle’s since May 2006, I came across your blog about Cleveland circle and wanted to clear a few things up.





1) We don’t sell subs; it’s actually a violation of our lease. We have sub rolls for sausages, kielbasa and 1/2lb and 1lb hotdogs, but even if requested by a customer we can’t do a chicken cutlet or any other type of “sub”.

2) We don’t do chicken parm, and you’ll notice very few items we have and our neighbor pinos has cross over, it’s a working relationship we share not to try and compete on items with each other. The closest you’ll find is an occasional American chop suey special during the winter.

3) I did find it interesting that you didn’t like our chicken cutlet and did like T. Anthony’s. I’ve long known the family that runs T. Anthony’s and I’ve always enjoyed their food, but what I find interesting is I know for a fact we both use the EXACT same chicken cutlet, cook it the same way and last I check I think we even use the same fryer oil (or very close) and we even get our bread (bulkie’s, subs, rye, bagels) from the same baker.

4) I apologize for the polar case being empty, there was supposed to be a delivery that Monday and polar (Nantucket nectar, Snapple, orangina) had shipping issues and didn’t deliver until Friday, and the fountain ginger ale has had an “out” sign for 2 weeks as we await coca cola to come out and clean the line and bring new signage as we add Blue PowerAde to the fountain (multiple customer requests) in replace of fountain ginger ale (the slowest seller)

5) As for the prices you won’t find us the cheapest, the quality and potions combined with the cost of rent for this area is what sets the prices, rent goes down, food cost goes down (neither of which I see even happening) then I’ll be the first to lower prices!



That being said, I’m always disappointed when a customer doesn’t have a good time at Eagle’s, the previous owner/management in their last few years run the place down, it was dirty, unfriendly and quality was not a top concern and I have worked very hard over the 26months to change that image, new staff, new layout, better cleaning policies/staff, some product upgrades/new items and even going back to a deli basic of cooking our own corned beef.



So, I’d like to offer you a $20.00 gift card so you can give us another try, it will be at the register, just ask the cashier and if they’re unaware of it just ask for the manager. If you don’t enjoy your second experience I’d hope for you to contact me directly and express your displeasures so I can address them for you. As many have stated we’re known for our burgers, we probably provide the best breakfast/value you’ll find in the area (especially or weekday breakfast specials) and as stated we cook our own corned beef, we do use a double brisket so it won’t be extra lean if that’s a preference, but most people find it rather tasty.



If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly sean@eaglesdeli.com

July 27, 2008 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home