Saturday, January 09, 2010

Radio, Radio

I rode the B line downtown today, and with all the students still away and most folks staying indoors to avoid the cold, it was a rather pleasant ride. I was able to sit and read my latest issue of The Improper Bostonian in peace and relative quiet.

That is, until we pulled into the Harvard Ave. station, and a guy got on with his portable stereo, sat down two rows behind me, and proceeded to turn it on and blast Madonna's "Dress You Up" for all to hear. Turns out he had his radio tuned to 93.7, so we were also treated to a mix that included Journey's "Lights" and Thompson Twins' "Hold Me Now." (When Crazy Town's "Butterfly" came on, though, he flipped around to find a "better" station.)

At first, I was like, how rude! Doesn't this guy have any common decency? I thought about asking him to turn off his radio, but I'm more passive aggressive, so other than shooting the guy a couple "Are you kidding me?" glances, I decided to blog about it way after the fact instead of saying something at the time. Also, I was kind of enjoying the music and no one else seemed to mind (or at least, no one else was complaining), so in the end I figured it wasn't such a big deal. After all, someone who blasts their music on the T without regard for others clearly has no sense of it being the wrong thing to do, so saying something to him would have been pointless.

I know the T is public transportation, so I don't expect it to be quiet. But I think bringing a stereo onto the train and playing it that loudly is a bit excessive. It often surprises me just how divergent my thoughts and behaviors are from those of others when it comes to public settings. My inbound ride today was just the latest example.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home