Thursday, December 31, 2009

Life Was Good

Generally, I'm not a fan of New Year's Eve, but this year especially, I'm not looking forward to it at all. You see, unlike many people I know, and contrary to general trends in the economy, 2009 was a great year for me. Really and truly it was. So perhaps I jumped the gun when I called 2008 "The Year of Martin" because I enjoyed 2009 so much more.

Here are some of the reasons why.

2009 was the year I started a new job. And yes, I know you're not supposed to make your job the source of so much happiness, but I can't help it. I feel truly lucky to have a) found a new job, b) found this job, c) found a job at this company, and d) found a job with these people — ones who love argyle, golf, and cupcakes as much as I do. Every day I go to work happy, and every day I leave happy. I couldn't say that a year ago.

2009 was the year I started going to concerts again. There was a single week in April when I saw Flight of the Conchords, Lily Allen, and Bruce Springsteen (twice!). But I also saw Dave Matthews Band on night one and night two of their Fenway shows, Billy Joel and Elton John, Kelly Clarkson, Train, Joshua Radin, and yes, Bruce Springsteen for a third time.

2009 was the year I finally got an iPhone after two years of wanting one, and upgraded my TV, but more significantly, it was the year I finally got a new car after nearly 11 years with my old one. Another exciting acquisition: my Slanket.

2009 was the year I started cooking again, and ate ... if not better, then at least more: there was a munchkin-eating contest, an all-you-can-eat chocolate buffet, and the Old Country Buffet. So much for my plans to lose weight.

2009 was the year I traveled a lot (at least for me). I went to Miami, Washington D.C., New York, and Chicago for work, but I also spent my own personal time in Florida and Chicago (plus two days in Michigan City, Indiana, for Fourth of July).

2009 was the year I got to sit on a jury and deliberate a case — and I actually enjoyed it.

2009 was the year I said goodbye to one of my favorite singers and hello to a brand-new president.

2009 was the year I got to interview John Stamos.

2009 was the year my niece, Abby, came to visit me in Boston three times: New Year's weekend, Labor Day weekend, and Christmas weekend. So what if she wasn't a fan of my Slanket; by the end of the year she was saying my name over and over and over.

In short, 2009 was the year I was happy.

And that's why, when the clock strikes midnight tonight, I'll be the one raising a glass not to the future but to the past. I think it's safe to say that by comparison, 2010 is going to suck. (Though I hope not.)

Happy New Year!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home