Friday, December 09, 2011

This Is Why I'm Lucky

As I've previously written on this blog, I'm a lucky man. But I fear I wasn't specific enough. So ... now that I've returned from five days in Park City, Utah, where I was for a conference, I thought I needed to be a little bit more specific about why I feel so lucky ...

* Because I got to go to Park City two years in a row for this conference
* Because I got to stay at the St. Regis Deer Valley, one of the nicest hotels ever
* Because I learned I can stay in an outdoor hot tub in 15-degree weather for an hour or more and not freeze. Three days in a row.
* Because after more than a year, I was still mayor on Foursquare of the Roots Canada store on Main Street
* Because the St. Regis had the most awesome (free) hot chocolate bar, with crushed Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and peppermint sticks, Red Hots, vanilla bean and orange whipped creams, marshmallows, chocolate shavings, and more mix-ins
* Because the weather in Park City in December may be cold, but it's a dry cold, so it's not all that bad
* Because I was asked to moderate a roundtable at the conference, again
* Because I learned some new things, and not just how to play Texas Hold 'em Poker
* Because I met some new people
* Because I had a TV in my bathroom mirror in the hotel
* Because I ordered something off the menu at the No Name Saloon and wasn't mocked for it ... too badly
* Because Monday night I stood in a fire pit and didn't burn myself
* Because for some reason, I enjoy riding in a funicular, and there's one at the St. Regis
* Because the showers at the hotel are awesome
* Because at the first day of the conference, we had delicious churros for dessert after lunch
* Because I had turn-down service every night. I love turn-down service
* Because during the conference, I passed 1,500 followers on Twitter
* Because I'm in an industry with so many smart, passionate, funny, interesting, welcoming, insightful, and just plain cool people, many of whom I'm privileged to call not only colleagues, but friends
* Because these people call me their friend too
* Because I had a great time in Park City

Yes, I did go on this trip for work; here's a link to my professional recap. That I have a job that allows me to do stuff like this makes me question how I ever got so lucky. But I do and I am. Lucky, indeed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home