Saturday, January 07, 2006

Good Movie, My Brother

The Squid and the Whale is one painful movie. And from that pain it generates some laughs, but it's not pretty. Right from the get-go you're embroiled in the thick of a marriage on the decline and you watch as things get worse, the parents separate, and the kids take sides. Jeff Daniels gives a fantastic performance as the messed-up father whose superiority complex and comments about uncultured Philistines makes you feel like if you don't like this movie, then you're one too. Thankfully, I liked it. B+

1 Comments:

Blogger Humma Kavula said...

Shorter Squid and the Whale: Mean people do mean shit to undeserving saints.

I mean, everybody's good in it, but did Jeff Daniels have to be so unredeemable and Laura Linney such a saint? Are Tiffany and I the only two people in America who see through this claptrap? This is exactly the kind of movie I like -- remember, my favorite movie of this year is "Me and You and Everyone We Know" -- but whereas that movie seems to find real situations for its characters searching for connections to other people, S&W just seems to find more situations for Jeff Daniels to be an ass. The extent to which a viewer enjoys this movie, I think, is the extent to which:

1. You identify with the 1980s NYC setting; and
2. You find the Jeff Daniels character funny.

Since I score a zero on both those points, my two-word review:

Over. Rated.

January 09, 2006 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home