Wednesday, July 01, 2009

I've Got Five Years Left

This is going to make my parents sooooo happy.

According to a new study by the National Center for Health Statistics, for most Americans, the probability of being married by age 40 is more than 80 percent. In fact, for men, the likelihood of a first marriage by age 40 is 81 percent (for women, it's 86 percent). And to show that not everyone gets married so early, the study also found that men have only a 50 percent chance of being married for the first time by age 27, and just a 61 percent chance of being married for the first time by age 30. So, despite the common thought that most everyone I know is already married, the opposite may actually be true. It's nice to know I have a lot of company out there, and that like the saying goes, there are still plenty of fish in the sea.

Now, I'm not the kind of single person who sits around bemoaning his singleton status. Far from it. But it's nice to know that even though I'm 35, there's still a great chance that I could still get married before long. My parents needn't give up hope just yet.

Of course, I guess that means I had better start working on finding someone to marry now. Otherwise, I'll be in the other 19 percent.

(For more results from the study, click here.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home